Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Week 14 Story Lab

This week for my story lab assignment I watched the TED Talks: Copyright is Brain Damage by Nina Paley and A New Theory of Human Intelligence by Scott Barry Kaufman

I thought what Scott Kaufman had to say was right on the nose. I think our society puts far too much emphasis on predictors and predictive measurements as a way to gauge intelligence. Kids are told they are either gifted or not when they are young and that shapes their whole learning experience.

I thought he had an awesome story to tell. It was hilarious how he was clever enough to get in to Carnegie Melon in a department that didn't care about SAT score. That just goes to show you how true the point he's trying to make is. He beat the system. He didn't cheat it. I hope we can keep working to implement some of the new ways of measuring intelligence that he discussed.

Copyright is brain damage. What a title. I really enjoyed what Nina had to speak about. I am not a creator so I can't even imagine what its like dealing with copyright on that end, but just as a consumer copyright is already frustrating enough.

I liked how she explained how copyright often isn't even doing anything to help the person whose work is being protected. I hate how much business and profits have ruined our world. People should absolutely make money off of their work, but copyright law has become increasingly predatory.

I hadn't heard about copylefting before this video, but now that it has been brought to my attention I think that it is pretty cool. I hope the movement has had good luck with trying to subvert copyright. I hope they have not been sued to death or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment