Sunday, September 1, 2019

Feedback Thoughts

Another fun topic to read about. I did not think I would cover useful things like this.

The first article I read was Why Rejection Hurts So Much — and What to do About It by Guy Winch (https://ideas.ted.com/why-rejection-hurts-so-much-and-what-to-do-about-it/). I chose to read this one because I am not great at taking criticism very well. I like the way he conceptualized it. I understand that criticism important, but sometimes it is just so hard to hear.

The other article I read was Why It's So Hard to Here Negative Feedback by Tim Herera (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/smarter-living/why-its-so-hard-to-hear-negative-feedback.html). I appreciated how he really captured the emotions you go through when you know you are about to get feedback. Specifically I liked how he discussed the anxiety you get when you are waiting for your feedback. At least for me I always assume the worst; I go into it thinking my professor or boss hates whatever I did. I'm just bracing myself for the impact which makes it so much worse. Running through all the scenarios of things they could tear me apart. In reality it's never that bad, but the anticipation is killer.

A pretty kitty with a good message.
(The image is from cheezburger.)

No comments:

Post a Comment