Sunday, September 8, 2019

Topic Research

For my project I think the most topic I would have the most fun writing about is tricksters. I can't quite place why they are some of my stories, but I really appreciate a nice scheme or demonstration of incredible wit.

Obviously the first trickster story that popped into my head was Loki. Thanks Marvel. But I have no desire to do this story. It's no fun to tell a story every knows. Instead I am going to choose I story I am unfamiliar with to do my project over. I want to learn new stories, and what better way is there to do that than telling my own versions of those stories.

Once I started searching for some trickster stories Anansi was a very popular result. However, since I am already familiar with the story of Anansi I will not be doing my project over it. Sorry Anansi.

The first story I am thinking of doing my project over is the story of Kumiho. When I think of a trickster I think of a cunning fox. "In folktales, the Kumiho would often take the form of a beautiful woman and attempt to seduce young boys. If they gave into temptation, the Kumiho would morph back into a fox and eat their heart and liver. Kumiho have been compared to the European werewolf." Sounds fun!

The second story I am thinking of writing about is the story of Kagn. Once again this story meets the criteria of me being completely unfamiliar with it. "Their trickster god Cagn, perhaps one of the original imaginings of the trickster archetype, holds a unique position as also being the supreme god and creator of the universe." Not only is he the original trickster, he is also the supreme god of the universe like how cool is that.

The final story I am now considering for my project is the story of Juha. I think this could be really fun to write about because "often he is the trickster, while occasionally he is the butt of the trick. The common bond among all the forms of Juha is his use of trickery to teach humorous or ironic moral lessons." I think those could provide for some really interesting stories.

Source: https://ultraculture.org/blog/2016/02/10/5-trickster-gods-world-mythology/

Image result for fox
A fox that is up to no good.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Conner,

    This is a cool idea! Tricksters are fun, and give a lot of possibilities for playing with snark and guile, which are always fun to write. A trickster who is also the creator god seems particularly interesting: you can do very interesting things there. Is reality itself a trick? Does the creator god put in little ticks and strange elements of their creations to see what happens?

    Looking forward to your project.

    Best,
    A.M.

    ReplyDelete