Friday, October 25, 2019

Story Laboratory: Crash Course Mythology

First off I wanna say that I really enjoyed these videos. I started watching crash course when I was in European history in high school and I loved them. I've watched the for classes I take whenever they have them, but it never occurred to me that they would have one for mythology. I'm definitely going to be watching more of these on my own time!

I enjoyed how the host went into the nitty gritty of what a myth is. He came up with such a surgical definition for something so abstract. I like how the hosts approach to mythology is very similar to the one we take in the class - it isn't just Greek mythology. When I signed up for this class that's what I thought this class wold be over. I think it is really cool how in both the class and the videos the focus is on exposing people to myths they aren't familiar with.

I'm not good with theory - it usually just goes over my head, but I loved the video of him breaking down the theory of mythology. I'm not gonna pretend like I understand everything he said, but it was still a great video. I like the point about Plato equating myths with lies. Myths were a way for people to blame all of the evils of humanity on the gods. I had never thought about myths like this before.

Finally I really loved the hero video - it was my favorite of the three. I enjoyed learning about monomyths. I didn't know how structured and formulaic these myths are.

All in all I still love crash course videos. The rapid-fire delivery and neat animation are still as cool as they've ever been. I'm a huge fan of educational content that is actually entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment