Thursday, October 3, 2019

Week 7 Story

Once upon a time, before King Arthur was King Arthur, he was just a young knight. One day he was hunting in the woods when he came across a man, a woman, and a dazzling damsel. As he approached them he noticed that they were all weeping.

"Why are you crying? What is troubling you?" Arthur asked.

The man explained to Arthur that they were crying because all eight of his other daughters had been killed. He told Arthur about a great eight-headed dragon. This dragon was the most powerful beast in the land. He explained that every year the beast has come and taken one of his daughters from them. He is terrified of losing his last daughter.

The father explained that they had tried moving or hiding, but it was all in vain. The dragon was inevitable. Arthur saw the family's pain and asked if there was anything he could do to help. He offered his protection, but the father declined because he said it would be to no avail. No human or being could take on the dragon head on. It was too powerful.

However, Arthur was not one to give up. He deliberated and then he spoke too the man.

"I will defeat the dragon for you do not worry. No man or creature has ever been able to conquer me. However, when I return from battle I want your daughters hand in marriage. She is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."

The man gladly obliged. He said he would do anything if it meant his daughter wouldn't be taken from this world. So Arthur set off to go defeat the dragon.

Arthur knew he would have to set a trap to best the beast. He gathered a herd of cattle, and he fetched several barrels of wine. He set them out as bait, and he waited. As he expected the dragon came and devoured the herd and drank all the wine. Then the dragon passed out.

Arthur cut off each of the dragons head, and then he cut the dragon into 1000 pieces. He returned to the family and married the daughter.

Image result for hydra

Author's Note:
I took the story of Susa-no-wo and the eight-forked serpent of Koshi. I adapted it to be in medieval times and our protagonist is King Arthur.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Connor I liked how you replaced Susanowo with Arthur in this story! I read this exact same story and I was like... man that sounds familiar. And then i saw your author's notes and I was like.. It IS!!! Anyways, have you by any chance read Gawain and the GReen Knight? That's really the only knights of the round table tale that I ever read but it's awesome! I'm looking forward to more stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Connor!
    I read the same story this week and felt major deja-vu. I like how you pt your own creative spin on it by making King Arthur the protagonist. I remember reading the time traveling clubhouse books as a kid and they had several encounters with King Arthur, besides reading those books as a child I am not too familiar with him. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Connor! I read from that same collection and I love that you chose this story to retell. I thought it was really creative that you told the same story but with different protagonists. I tried to do the same thing for my story, and I felt that it really helped me to understand the universal message of the story better by changing it up just a little! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Connor!

    I really enjoyed reading this story. It was cool how you adapted a story into a different cultural storytelling tradition. Your description of the dragon was really well done and helped me understand the dragon's significance. I liked your characterization of King Arthur here. Have you thought about writing more King Arthur stories for this class? I also enjoyed the way you progressed the plot. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! I liked how you changed the story to fit a different time period. Sometimes changing something as simple as that makes way for a completely different story to come to life, so great work! I also really enjoyed your style of story-telling. I believe it made for a very easy read, and one that kept me intrigued the whole entire time!

    ReplyDelete