Friday, October 18, 2019

Week 9 Story

Long ago in the far off mountains of the east there lived a man and his daughter. The man loved his daughter very much. He wanted to give his daughter a gift for her birthday, but they were very poor. However, he had the ingenious idea to make a sock monkey for her. He used the nicest sock they had. The daughter loved her gift, but as she grew old she played with it less and less. One day the man and his daughter packed up their belongings and moved, and the daughter left the sock monkey behind.

As time passed and the monkey sat on the floor collecting dust he began to be able to move his limbs. Over time he became able to crawl, walk, and eventually leap and perform impressive acrobatic feats. The monkey’s button eyes, which had been old and faded now gleamed gold.

His golden eyes shined so bright that even the God of the Universe noticed them and he sent two of his servants to investigate. They reported back to their king that it was just a harmless sock monkey having fun by himself. He presented no danger at this time.

The monkey continued to play by himself until one day he came across a pack of real monkeys. The monkeys were hesitant to hang out with the sock monkey, but once they saw that he could do anything that they could they became friends.

It was a particularly hot summer and the sock monkey and his friends were all cooling off by a secluded pond. One of the monkeys felt adventurous and did a cannonball into the pool. Another monkey had an idea and said, “Whoever can make the biggest splash will be king of us all.”

The sock monkeys turn came, and he mustered all his strength. He prayed to the gods that gave him life. When he jumped, right before he hit the water his sock body became as hard as stone. He produced a splash so giant that all the other monkeys were completely soaked. And from that time on he was known as the King of the Apes.

 File:Sock monkey.jpg

Author's Note:
I took the story of how Sun Wu Kung got his name and made it more absurd. I changed a monkey made of stone into a sock monkey. In the original story Sun Wu Kung jumped off a cliff into a waterfall and finds a heavenly cave. In my version he just makes a big splash.

Bibliography:
The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

4 comments:

  1. Hello Conner!

    Your story was really fun! When I started reading it I was expecting much more dramatic or sad story but yours really wasn't like that. It was nice to see that the sock monkey found friends that he could hang out with. I wasn't expecting him to be their king so that was a surprise! I wonder what he'll do next! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Connor, I really enjoyed reading this story! Like Jose said, I was prepared for a really serious story at the beginning, but I was happily surprised. The story was lighthearted and fun all while being really well written. Great job overall, and I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Connor! I really enjoyed reading your retelling. It was a funny and quick read! I had no idea what to expect when reading your story first initially, but I was pleasantly amused at the end of the story. I am interested in the original story to see how it compares to yours. Making a story more absurd may be a path I follow in my story retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Connor!! The story that you wrote is such a fun read! I really enjoyed how you started the story somewhat serious and transitioned into a nicer, relaxing story. That transition kept me on my toes for the whole story which made it that much better! I love that you used a sock monkey as the main character of the story. It gives a light tone and setting for the story which is always nice for any story.

    ReplyDelete